06 September 2012

Eyeliner Staying Power Comparison

I have previously reviewed the Kryolan SkinLiners, but haven't posted pictures of swatches, so along with swatches of these bad boys, you'll get comparisons to three easily obtainable eyeliners.

  I almost always wear brown eyeliner, since I feel it creates a more harmonious look.  I don't even own black liner, since when I'm going for a bold look I use an unexpected color, usually combined with some of the brown liner for better definition.


Let the testing begin!



In order from left to right:
1. Maybelline Lash Stiletto in Brownish Black
2. Kryolan SkinLiner in #21 (Brown)
3. Kryolan SkinLiner in #50 (Teal)
4. Maybelline Creme Gel Liner in #02 (Brown)
5. Loreal MicroLiner in Precisely Plum
Maybelline Lash Stiletto, Kryolan Skinliner, Maybelline Creme Gel Liner, Loreal MicroLiner


After 15 seconds of warm running water:
Maybelline Lash Stiletto, Kryolan Skinliner, Maybelline Creme Gel Liner, Loreal MicroLiner



After one swipe with a tissue:
Maybelline Lash Stiletto, Kryolan Skinliner, Maybelline Creme Gel Liner, Loreal MicroLiner


After scrubbing vigorously under warm running water:
Maybelline Lash Stiletto, Kryolan Skinliner, Maybelline Creme Gel Liner, Loreal MicroLiner


Numbers 1-3 have marker-like applicators that allow for precise placement of ink-like pigment.  I'm a big fan of this style of liner, but there are drawbacks to these formulas: mainly staying power.

#1 Flakes off in little strips that get all over your face. I think the second picture does an excellent job of showing that tendency.  I almost never use this liner, and will not purchase it again.

Big change on #2, eh?  What a disappointment!  This is the worst experience I've had with a Kryolan product.  A silver lining (other than the fact that the liner turns silver) is that it doesn't so much smudge as it just disappears.  Still, I won't purchase it again.

#3 is ok; at least it doesn't smudge.  I was impressed that you can still see it a bit in the last picture, because I  scrubbed really hard.  I'm looking forward to trying some of the other vibrant colors.

#4 is the clear winner.  This stuff is my go-to eyeliner, for obvious reasons.  I haven't found anything better, and although this review has only covered 5 different liner, I've tried plenty.  I love this for when I'm going to be outside all day, whether running, sailing, swimming, or riding.  Give it a try!

#5 is a pencil liner.  I don't like using pencil liners because I don't like the feeling of dragging the hard tip across my eyelids--it wigs me out.  Still, this stuff has good staying power, and is subtle yet interesting.  I'd purchase it again, but I use it so rarely that I think this one will last me another year or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment