04 September 2012

For the Love of Kryolan




 Kryolan is a 66 year old German company that focuses on providing makeup for film, theater, etc.  They opened a store in Chicago last year, but it took a while for me to go check it out, since I'm not in film, theater, etc.  Also, I was afraid the makeup would break me out, since most of it has oil in it.  

Eventually, my search for a light enough foundation made me go on a mad hunt for Illamasqua, since they have some of the lightest foundations around. (FYI, some Sephoras have some Illamasqua goodies, but not their full product range.)  So, I made the pilgrimage to Chicago to see this stuff for myself.


Oh, the joy and excitation--just look at all that stuff! Surely this place would have something that matches my skin tone.

This picture was taken from the Kryolan site.  Go check it out!


Oh my goodness.  These hallowed halls have not one product that matches my skin, but five! Can you believe it?  Five options for this significantly lighter than NC15 girl!  Somewhere in my inner consciousness I can hear Count von Count counting each one and laughing delightedly.  

I only bought three, but I'll be heading there again soon, since my face tanned a bit from sailing so much recently.  No worries, though--I'll return to my pale complexion in the coming months.


From left to right:
1. UltraFoundation Cream in Fair Olive
2. HD Micro Foundation Cream in #205
3. DermaColor Setting Powder in Light*
4. Bobbi Brown Face Powder in Pale Yellow*
5. DermaColor Camouflage Creme in D1W
Kryolan UltraFoundation Cream, HD Micro Foundation Cream, DermaColor Setting Powder, Bobbi Brown Face Powder, DermColor Camouflage Creme
*Note: Numbers 3 and 4 are reviewed here.




1.
UltraFoundation Cream in Fair Olive


I can't say enough good things about this product.  UltraFoundation and I were meant to be, and I can't imagine wanting to wear anything else.  Finally, I have a foundation that has buildable but natural coverage, that doesn't dry my skin out, and actually matches my skin tone perfectly!  As an additional bonus, this stuff doesn't irritate my acne issues, and it isn't scented.  This is the holy grail of foundation.  

Like the UltraFoundation, I use a foundation brush dampened with water to apply this to my face.  I don't know why it works better than a dry brush, but it does.

The one caveat about this stuff is that while it stays on better than the Micro Foundation, it still needs to be refreshed mid-day.  Really, though, what makeup doesn't need some tlc during your lunch break?

The packaging isn't as attractive as the Micro Foundation, but its increased functionality makes the aesthetic sacrifices worth it.  The top screws on and off, so getting into the makeup takes almost no effort.  I rarely leave the house without this in my purse.


2.
HD Micro Foundation Cream in # 205


This stuff is nice. It has a very fine texture, and is meant to be worn for high definition TV work. I find that bright lighting can make this stuff look pretty luminous, so don't overdo it. I put it on with a foundation brush dampened with water, and am amazed at the coverage every time. I like that the product isn't scented. This shade is a bit pinker than I normally would like, and it requires relatively frequent reapplication, so it isn't my favorite.

As for the packaging, it is very pretty. The cream comes in a silver metal container that has the Kryolan face on the top--very chic. However, I find it quite difficult to open.


5.
DermaColor Camouflage Creme in D1W
Dermacolor Camouflage Crème
I have never used a more highly pigmented makeup product.  I got this to use as a concealer under my eyes, but it does a good job other places too.  This stuff can cover anything up--even black tattoos. Like the other cream products I've reviewed, it has a creamy consistency that works best if you warm it up a bit on the back of your hand before you apply it.   Like the previous two products, it isn't scented.  I'll definitely purchase this again.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog when googling for Dermacolor swatches, and I have a question please: after browsing I saw you also use Missha BB cream in 13, which matches me very well - can you please tell me if the camouflage cream in D1W is the same shade, or darker/lighter? Really hoping for your response, as I have to order the Kryolan blindly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack! I can't believe I didn't see your comment until now. Sorry about that.

    The D1W concealer is comparable in lightness to the Missha #13, but has a peachier tone so it will cover blue discolorations well. If you don't notice the Missha #13 being pink on your skin, then there's a good chance the D1W will work out well for you. When D1W is on the skin, it shows up lighter than other products of similar shade.

    These days I'm in the sun a lot and have to mix the Missha #13 with the Bobbi Brown Extra Light BB Cream for a perfect match, and I've noticed that the D1W is too pink unless I set it with a yellow toned powder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your detailed answer!, sounds worth trying :)

    ReplyDelete