02 March 2012

Liquid Foundations for Fair Skin

Liquid Foundation Reviews

I have incredibly light skin.  It is also dry, and usually flaky.  I used Bare Minerals for about 5 years, until one day I buffed all of my flakes to full attention and decided something had to change.  I've been looking into other options for the past year.  So far, I've only found one foundation that actually matches my skin, but its formula is the pits.

My arm is nowhere near the color of my neck, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that none of these foundations looks like they match.  Can you guess what looks best in person?


numbered from left to right


1. Photogenic in Iviore by Lancome
2. Doublewear in Ecru by Estee Lauder
3. Doublewear in Bone by Estee Lauder
4. True Match in Porcelain W1 by L'Oreal
5. Trublend in Ivory 1 by Covergirl
6. Amazonian Clay in Fair by Tarte
7. HD Foundation in #15 by Makeup Forever
8. HD Foundation in #20 by Makeup Forever
9. Studio Fix Fluid in NC 15 by MAC


1.
I'm a fan of this product.  The formula is meant to be moisturizing, and although I wouldn't quite agree with that, I'd say it doesn't dry me out as badly as most other foundation.  It leaves a matte finish, and although I generally prefer a satin or dewy look, this isn't so bad.  
If you rub it between your fingers, the product's texture begins as a creamy liquid and dries to a silky powdery finish.  I also like its scent.
Unfortunately, the color just isn't quite right.  It is almost light enough, and almost neutral enough, but isn't quite right. In other words, it matches my splotchy red face, but not my neck.  Also, it is only SPF 15. Bummer.


2 and 3
They really mean it when they say Doublewear.  My cleanser doesn't remove this stuff.  I find it more drying than other foundations, but that is generally what you get with a long-wearing formula.  It tends to make my skin look a bit crepey, even though I'm only 25.

Did I mention Doublewear only has SPF 10?  Although it is nice that the makeup will stay on all day, the bad news is you're not going to want ruin it by putting on more sunscreen.

The shades are not at all complimentary for my skin, neither in undertone nor in shade.  Bone is too yellow, Ecru is too pink, and both are too dark.  The neutral tone was obviously too dark, so I didn't even try it.


4.
This is the best match I've found for my skin yet, although I am considering trying the Neutral version.  If you're pinching pennies, give this one a try.  If you are concerned about the texture your skin will have while wearing it, then I recommend you look elsewhere.  When I wear this, it looks like I've gotten chalk all over myself.
This stuff has a piddling SPF 17.  Sure, L'Oreal can say their product protects against the sun better than more expensive products, but I figure it is mostly to make them feel better, since I'll get more rays than that can handle walking to and from my car on any given day.


5.
I don't think what I could say about this product would even qualify as a review.  I can only rant.
Finally, I find something in a drugstore that matches my skin tone decently.  Oh, but what's that?  You say you have to put things in it to break my skin out?  Really?  And you say that you're going to make it so that it clumps up in weird patches when I've worn it for more than an hour?  Say it isn't so, Covergirl.

I want to believe that Ellen wants the best for me. Turns out, she doesn't--otherwise she wouldn't have told me how great Covergirl is.  I don't hold this against her, though.  I hold it against the other cosmetics companies who didn't want an awesome person to model their superior formulas.  I want Ellen to represent a better brand.
 Don't waste your time or money on this product, regardless of how tempting the color appears.


6.
Boy, is this stuff yellow.  Its consistency is very thick, kind of like... mud.  This didn't put me off, though.  I've worn this on at least 7 different occasions.  At first it seems kind of nice, but by the end of the day, you remember that it has Amazonian Clay in it.  Oh, that's why my face looks like a cracked riverbed.  I get it now.
I would normally enthusiastically recommend this product to people with oily skin, but I can't with a clear conscience.  I get a break out every time I put this on my face.  I want to love this stuff, since not only is it light colored with great coverage, but makes me feel like an Amazon warrior putting on battle armor.  (Yes, it is fun to have such an active imagination.)   I have a problem with this stuff.  It is like the boyfriend who is super attractive, so you keep coming back to him even though it didn't work out last time.  I need an intervention.


7 and 8
What you've read about this stuff is true.  If it matches your skin tone, it is great.  Neither shade is light enough for me, but I highly recommend it to those of you who aren't so fair.  You'll get great coverage that isn't too mask-like, particularly if you apply it with a stippling brush.


9.
This foundation always gets rave reviews.  I don't like it.  I also don't like the people who keep trying to sell it to me.
  It doesn't matter how many MAC counters I go to, they always try to sell me this stuff if I mention I'm not happy with my foundation.  To be fair, I introduced the subject so I could tell if this was a MAC thing, or if I happened to hook up with an oddball.  I am tired of people trying to sell me makeup that is clearly too dark, just because their brand doesn't offer anything that actually matches.  I understand they want to sell their products, but I think part of good customer service is knowing where your customer can get what she is looking for, even if you don't carry it.
The foundation is too dark, showcases my fine lines, and doesn't have a pleasant scent.  There, I said it.  I'm finished.


I hate ending a post with such a negative tone, so here is a picture of an adorable oinker to get your mind right.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post, I found it incredibly helpful, thanks so much for such detailed reviews and clear swatches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found it useful! Hopefully my efforts will make it easier for those of us with fair complexions to find the right makeup.

      Delete