03 March 2012

BB Creams for Fair Skin

Go BB Cream Go!

My skin is like a sponge -- a dry sponge.

I have dry, flaky skin  pretty much all the time--whether I'm in Mobile, Alabama, the Grand Canyon, or Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  This is what piqued my interest in BB Creams.  They claim to moisturize your skin as well as, well, a moisturizer.  

In fact, that's what Sephora says they are, and to some degree that's true.  They are pretty much the most moisturizing makeup you'll ever put on your face--basically tinted moisturizer.   Don't let that turn you off from them just yet.  Hear me out. 

I've had bad luck with most tinted moisturizers.  Of the ones that are light enough to match my skin tone, the coverage has been similarly light.  As in, nonexistent. I need tint for a reason!  If I liked the way my skin looked bare, I wouldn't be looking for makeup, now would I?  The thing that sold me about BB Cream is that it can cover as well as my mineral foundation, without drying, while packing in lots of other goodies.  Let's explore these exciting options.  :)

The most important feature of all of the products in this review is that they have sun protection!  I hate having to wear sunscreen under my makeup.  It changes the look and texture of the product into something generally resembling my frying pan, pre-egg, and this is the best case scenario.  My favorite sunscreens make me look undead.  Avoiding all of this is a big deal for a pasty girl like me, and if you don't want wrinkles, it should be a big deal for you too.  

Speaking of wrinkles, many BB creams have wrinkle fighting components.  I don't have many wrinkles, and I don't expect my makeup to do much about the ones I have already gotten.  Still, I don't mind preventative care, just so long as I don't have to pay extra for it.  I'd like to save my money for bringing out the big guns in a few years.

Many BB creams have whitening ingredients.  By whitening, I don't mean they'll magically make you as pale as me, or that they'll make all the spots on your face disappear.  Some people may be looking for that, but you'll get the best results asking your dermatologist for a cream.  (Nowadays everyone is buzzing about Elure, assuming you can shell out $120 for a bottle of it.)  An interesting tidbit I've discovered is that most skin whiteners are based on chemicals found in various mushrooms.

The main function of whiteners is to inhibit melanin production that generally comes as a byproduct of inflammation.  Different whitening ingredients work differently, but keep in mind that if the product contains hydroquinone, or its prodrugs, long term usage might not be safe.  To be fair, there is debate about hydroquinone's health effects. One side of the fence (the many countries that have banned cosmetic use of the substance) argues that injections in lab rats proved the substance is carcinogenic.  The other side argues that it has shown benefits because of its antioxidant ability.  I have only read summaries of the articles, so I don't have a solid answer.  I'm not terribly worried about it, but I'm a fan of full disclosure.

Back to the makeup benefits!  BB creams are buildable, so you don't have to worry that your coverage will be too sheer or heavy.  It is best to start with a very thin layer, applied by your fingers.  You'll be surprised by how well the products cover your blemishes.  

I use the Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream in #115 as my daily foundation.  I generally use two layers on my problem areas and set them with a translucent powder.  





from left to right
1. Perfect Cover B.B. Cream in No. 13 by Missha
2. Water Fuse Beauty Balm* by Dr. Jart+ 
3. Premium Beauty Balm* by Dr. Jart+
4. Super + Whitening Beblish Balm* by Skin79
5. Super + Triple Function Whitening Beblesh Balm* by Skin79
6. The Prestige Diamond Collection Beblesh Balm* by Skin79
7. Pearl Diamond Collection Luminous Beblesh Balm* by Skin 79

1.
This stuff comes in five colors, including what the internet(yes, all of it) has agreed is the lightest shade of BB Cream available under any brand.  I've been using the Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream in No. 13 as my daily foundation for about three months now.  I wish it had slightly less pink in it, but it isn't enough of an issue to make me switch products.  I generally use two layers on my problem areas and set them with a loose translucent powder.

The product has a dusty floral scent that makes me think of the 1930's.  I've heard a lot of people say it smells like their grandmothers.  I don't have that association, my husband thinks it smells nice, and the fragrance doesn't bother my skin. 

Did I mention it is SPF 42?!
My second bottle is in the mail.

This is a public service announcement:  While Missha's BB cream is the bee's knees, their primer is not worth the materials they use to package it.  Stay away from it, unless you want to refresh your memories of the bitter taste of disappointment.  I may do a more detailed review later.

2.
This is the first BB cream I ever tried.  Yes, it doesn't actually match my skin, but whatever.  I mostly wanted to know if it would moisturize as well as all the other beauty bloggers swore it would.  It did!  This is the formula that started my love affair and kept me coming back for more.  If they made this in a lighter color, I'd be all over it.  Actually, it'd be all over me, come to think of it.  Regardless, this stuff feels pretty thick, so don't be surprised.

3.
I tried this one once in the privacy of my own bathroom, and the color was so embarrassing I didn't even leave the room.  I like that it has a high SPF--45.  This is the highest I've used in a BB cream.  I seem to recall seeing higher in other brands I haven't tried, though.  The texture is also quite thick.  

4.
This one smells kind of like sunscreen, albeit a feminine one.  I haven't put this on my face, since I know there's no chance it will match.  It had a nice texture on my skin, and melted right in, though.    I'd be interested if they ever made this formula in a lighter shade.

5.
This one has a cult following, but I've found it isn't significantly different from #4.

6.
I think this one smells nicer than the other Skin79 creams I've tried, but maybe my nose is tired. This one seems to be a thinner consistency, but not as moisturizing.  It is meant to control oil, which is the last thing I need.  Give it a go if you find other BB creams leave you too dewy.  

7.
The Pearl Diamond Luminous BB (number 7) matches my skin tone very well, but doesn't cover as well as the Missha.  I don't wear this one because it is just too darn "luminous".  It isn't quite as sparkly as the Bare Minerals Illuminating Mineral Veil (previously known as the Feather Light Mineral Veil), but it is still too much for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment